"We have one of the oldest cabins on Crestline Road. It was built by my Grandfather at the same time Ralph Tillinghast built his log house in now what is referred to as Happy Hollow. Our cabin is only 100 yards from the "old" Tillinghast cabin. My family was close friends before and after Ralph's drowning. Roy, his son and I have shared many experiences back in the 20's and 30's but had only limited contact after WWII to the time of his death. Ralph's wife used to stay a week in Escondido with my Grand folks, Arthur B. Jones. This was during the Tillinghast annual migration from the mountain to their winter home in La Jolla to get Roy into school.

I am sure that I am one of the few who is still kicking around that was acquainted with the Tillinghast family during the period 1920 through 1940. My wife, Lydia, and I have made an annual trip to the mountain each fall to be there during the Water Meeting.

This was the time when there was no South Grade. The East Grade terminated at the point where Crestline now ends by the Lodge. Very near the Lodge, not then in existence, lived a bachelor by the name of Burt Bishop. He had a small restaurant and dry good store. His brother stayed across the road from where Oliver Brown now lives. Down the hill going east lived Jack Burns, then known as the 'Mayor of the Mountain.' Jack had both riding and draft horses who kept the road in shape. We kids had a swimming pool in the lower end of Pedley Valley. A bunch of us would visit each afternoon by running down to Bull Valley and then follow the creek on a good trail to Pedley. Later, when Roy got a Model T we would drive down - FAST! After several years we ran out of dirt which was required each year to build the washed out dam so we would use a pond over at Iron Springs. COLDDDDDD! Newt Bailey and his brother would join us. One of the gang had a pet coon that also was part of the crowd.

One major difference in those days - the husbands usually bought their family up on Friday night and left early Monday morning. They returned the following weekend with more provisions. The result was that there were few automobiles for the families during the week days. Soon there existed many well trodden trails connecting the cabins, all centering around Burt Bishop's place where we ate at the counter his famous beef stew or chili beans. We kids all had many tasks to perform but we did have fun and as far as I can recall we never had one bit of trouble. Remember, there was no electricity, no telephone and many cabins did not have water. We believe that our cabin had the first indoor toilet on the mountain. But, that's another story...

We danced at Bailey's - Mrs. Tillinghast at the piano, Roy at the coronet, I at the violin. Those were the Good Ole Days!

We have enjoyed the Palomar Mountain News for sometime and especially now that we are changing our permanent residence from North Carolina. We'll live at the Casa De Las Campanas retirement home located between Rancho Bernardo and Lake Hodges. This is within two miles where I was born and raised - up Sycamore canyon and part of what is now Rancho Bernardo."

~Pat and Lydia Jones 
August 2000